Tamarindo Art Wave – January 25-27, 2018

 

Article Published in Nature Landing By Ellen Zoe Golden

Photos courtesy of Courtesy of Tamarindo Art Foundation, Jonathan Cooley, and Soledad Bartolelli

Tamarindo has a stellar reputation for its natural beauty and beaches as well as its amenities such as hotels, restaurants and shops. However, the town is proving to be a bastion of art and culture.

Last year thousands of people followed a blue line discovering art exhibits spread all over the area, from the southern  tip at Occidental Langosta to Pangas in town to the sands of the beach. It was the first edition of the Tamarindo Art Wave, where 77 Costa Rican and international artists created an art piece or exhibited their collections in 41 businesses around Tamarindo.

The 2017 Tamarindo Art Wave was going to be even more spectacular, but it had to be rescheduled from its November appointment in deference to those who are recovering from Tropical Storm Nate. It will now be held January 25th to 27th 2018.

According to co-curators Emmanuel Javogue and Gaby Alvarez, organizers are building on successful aspects of 2016 edition.  The event will host 90 percent of the featured artists in person, and the remaining 10 percent will be represented by significant artwork.

In 2016 the work varied from Adrian Gomez – a very well-known Costa Rican artist – who created his trademark Caribbean-style painting on the stair wall leading up to Crazy Monkey Restaurant at the Best Western Tamarindo Vista Villas, to a pop version of an iguana that was painted on the deck of the Antares Hybrid Schooner sail boat by Costa Rican painter Andre Bazan.

In January one of the main pieces will be a 7.5 by 9 meters dot fresco mural by the renowned painter Damien Hirst called Five Blacks that was donated by a private collector and will be displayed on the side of the Pacific Park condominiums.

Damien Hirst belongs to the group of artist that will not attend in person, but among those who will be in Tamarindo are LeekyungHo, well known video and installation artist from Korea; Victoire Cathalan, Swiss painter; Aimee Joaristi, Tica artist, painter and multimedia artist.

Two more novelties you can enjoy in January are two giant tents, one 24 by 12 meters where  larger paintings and sculptures will be exhibited, and another that will present experimental video art installations.

Concerts with dancers, and an artist creating a 3D painting with Google virtual reality glasses will take place on the last night of the event.

“This year, we are definitely getting some things unheard of here,”  Javogue said, “Tamarindo Art Wave will be a mix of traditional art and the new techniques that are now being used and will be used in the future.”